In one hour, there are 3,600 seconds. To convert seconds to hours, just divide the amount of seconds by 3,600. To explain why this conversion is necessary, create conversion tables that convert the number of seconds to minutes and then the number of minutes to hours.
Method 1 : Dividing by 3,600
1. Determine how many seconds you have. This information should be provided, or a figure estimated by you.
For instance, you may be converting 2,400 seconds to hours.
2. Subtract the number of seconds from 3,600. Take note that one hour has 3,600 seconds. As a result, if you have more than 3,600 seconds, your conversion time will be longer than one hour. Your conversion will be a fraction of an hour if you have fewer than 3,600 seconds.
- For example, . So, 2,400 seconds is equal to 0.6667 hours.
- As another example,. So, 5,600 seconds is equal to 1.5556 hours.
3. Change your decimal to a minute. This step is useful if you are dealing with a number of seconds less than an hour and want to know how long a certain decimal is. Multiply the decimal by 60 to convert it to minutes.
- For example, . So, 2,400 seconds is equal to .6667 hours, or 40 minutes.
- For your second example, you have 1 whole hour, plus 0.5556 of an hour. So, you only need to convert 0.5556 to an hour: . So, 5,600 seconds is equal to about 1 hour, 33 minutes.
Method 2 : Converting to Minutes with a Table
1. Begin by creating a table with two columns and two rows. The first row should be labeled “seconds,” and the second row should be labeled “minutes.”
2. Fill up the first column with the unit rate. A unit rate has a denominator of one. You are comparing one minute to a number of seconds in this case. 1 minute equals 60 seconds.
- So, your unit rate is . To show this in the chart, write “60” in the top row of the first column, and write “1” in the bottom row of the first column.
3. Enter the number of seconds to be converted. This number belongs in the first row of the second column.
For example, if you want to convert 9,000 seconds to hours, put “9,000” in the first row and second column of your table.
4. Determine the change factor. In this case, you’re attempting to determine how much the number of seconds you’re converting differed from the number of seconds in the unit rate. Divide the number of seconds you are converting by 60, the number of seconds in the unit rate, to determine the factor of change. Take note of this component, but do not include it in your chart.
- For example, if you are converting 9,000 seconds, you would calculate . So, the factor of change is 150.
5. Multiply the number of minutes by the change factor. Because the number of minutes is just one, the result of the number of seconds divided by 60 is all that is required. This will teach you how to convert seconds to minutes.
6. Convert the amount of time in minutes to hours. Set up another conversion table, this time using minutes and hours instead of seconds and minutes. The hourly unit fee is 60 minutes. In this table, instead of seconds, enter the amount of minutes you are converting.
For example, if you converted 9,000 seconds to 150 minutes, you are now converting 150 minutes to a number of hours. In your table, you need to find the factor of change from 60 minutes to 150 minutes. Since , your factor of change is 2.5. Multiply this by 1 hour. . So
Method 3 : Solving Sample Problems
1. Convert the following seconds into hours: 12,400 seconds
- Divide 12,400 by 3,600, the number of seconds in 1 hour: .
- Convert the decimal of an hour to minutes. To do this, multiply the decimal by 60: , or about 26 minutes. So, 12,400 seconds is equal to about 3 hours and 26 minutes.
2. Calculate Kristin’s time in hours. She completed a 100-meter sprint in 14 seconds.
Divide 14 by 3,600: . So, Kristin ran the sprint in about 4 thousandths of an hour.
3. Translating 5,000 seconds to hours requires first converting it to minutes.
Make a table. Write the unit rate of 60 seconds per minute in the first column.
- Set up a table. In the first column, write the unit rate of 60 seconds per 1 minute.
- In the second column, write the number of seconds you are converting: 5,000.
- Find the factor of change by dividing the number of seconds you are converting by 60: .
- Set up another table. In the first column, write the unit rate of 60 minutes per 1 hour.
- In the second column, write the number of minutes you are converting: 83.3334.
- Find the factor of change by dividing the number of minutes you are converting by 60: . So, .
What is the equation to convert seconds to hours?
In one hour, there are 3,600 seconds. To convert seconds to hours, just divide the amount of seconds by 3,600.
How do you convert seconds to hours and minutes?
So, what should you do while converting seconds? If you wish to split it into hours, do so. By 3600, and because in one. Hour. If you wish to convert seconds, there are 3600 available. Into hours
How do you convert seconds to HH mm SS?
Follow these instructions to do the conversion yourself. Divide the number of seconds by 3,600 to get the number of complete hours. The number to the left of the decimal point represents the total number of hours. The number of partial hours is indicated by the number to the right of the decimal point.
How do you convert seconds to minutes?
Because every minute contains 60 seconds, converting seconds to minutes is straightforward. Simply divide the amount of seconds by 60 to get the answer!
How do I convert seconds to hours in Excel?
86400 (the number of seconds in a day) divided by the number of seconds
Format the result as a time. (To show a time in an Excel cell, click the cell and then choose the ‘Time’ format from the drop-down menu on the Home tab of the Excel ribbon.)
How do I convert seconds to hours minutes and seconds in Excel?
To retrieve the result, select the cell and type equal to reference to the cell holding the seconds you wish to convert to time / 86400, then press enter.