The 1990s were a great era for pop culture and music, which influenced fashion trends at the time. Wear flannel shirts, baggy jeans, and combat boots to put together a 90s-inspired look. Windbreakers, tube tops, and overalls are also popular trends. To easily dress from the 90s, choose a 90s top and bottom and pair your outfit with 90s accessories.
Choosing 90s Tops
1. Put on a skateboard T-shirt to look 90s-approved. Graphic T-shirts were popular in the 1990s, and skateboard tees were especially popular. For a skateworthy look, choose a T-shirt from a brand like Blind, Toy Machine, Element, or Volcom. If you’re not into skateboarding, try a vintage band shirt from Nirvana or Alice in Chains instead.
You can wear the T-shirt alone or layer it with a sweater or jacket.
2. Wear a flannel shirt to fit in with the grunge scene of the 1990s. Flannel shirts were popular in the 1990s, especially with grunge music. Replace your skateboard shirt with a flannel or a plain white or black shirt.
- Most people wore flannel shirts with baggy or distressed denim in the 1990s.
- Select a flannel in a neutral color such as forest green, brown, or burgundy. You can also choose a bright flannel in colors like red, orange, and yellow.
3. A popular sleeveless option is a bandanna or tube top. Many women wore bandannas as tank tops in the 1990s. Fold the bandanna in half diagonally and place it across your chest. Finally, secure it around your back. Furthermore, tube tops were popular. Tube tops are sleeveless crop tops that cover only the bust.
- If you don’t want to wear a bandanna by itself, look for a paisley printed tank with a bandanna print.
- Wear your tank with high-waisted denim or trousers, or a pair of leggings.
4. Put on a slip dress to look fashionable. A slip is a thin, silky dress that is typically worn beneath a dress or shirt. Colors include black, white, cream, peach, pink, and light blue. The slip can then be worn as a regular dress for casual or formal occasions. Wear a T-shirt or tank top underneath your slip dress if you want.
- Velvet slip dresses are also available.
- Slip dresses are available in full and knee lengths.
5. To emulate 90s fashion, pair your outfit with a bright windbreaker. Windbreakers were very popular in the 1990s! They are multicolored windproof jackets that people wore with a variety of outfits. Wear a T-shirt underneath the windbreaker and zip it up or leave it open.
For an authentic 90s look, look for one with two or more colors.
6. Wear a bright Coogi sweater to stay warm this winter. An Australian company makes Coogi sweaters, which are colorful, thick cord sweaters. They gained popularity in the 1990s thanks to hip hop icons such as Notorious B.I.G. Coogis are made of thick fabric and work well as a winter sweater.
- Coogi sweaters can be pricey, so look for them at your local thrift store or consignment shop.
- Wear colorful or argyle sweaters for a 90s throwback look.
7. If you get cold, wrap a sweatshirt or sweater around your waist. In the 1990s, wrapping a sweatshirt around your waist was a popular trend. To put it on, wrap the sweatshirt’s body around your back and tie both arms around your waist. People did this in case it got cold outside, but the sweaters frequently stayed on their waists.
- You can do the same thing with a flannel shirt or a cardigan sweater.
- To tie your outfit together, choose a colored sweatshirt that complements the rest of the look.
Pairing with 90s Bottoms
1. Pair your 90s tops with a pair of baggy or flared jeans. Denim was a popular fashion staple in the 1990s, with the most popular styles featuring baggy legs and/or flared bottoms. These look fantastic with skateboard tees and flannels. They can also be worn with tube tops or tank tops.
- These are similar to the “boyfriend” jean in today’s fashion.
- In the 1990s, acid-wash jeans were very popular. For an authentic 90s look, get a pair of light-colored, baggy jeans.
2. Pair with distressed, high waisted denim or trouser pants. “Mom” jeans were popular in the 1990s, distinguished by their high waist that reached up to the navel. For a true 90s pant look, go with ripped or bleached jeans or high waisted trousers.
- Wear your distressed denim with tube tops or band T-shirts.
- Wear your trousers with a blazer or button-down inspired by the 1990s.
3. Put on a pair of overalls with the straps undone. Overalls were popular in the 1990s, though most people left the straps unfastened or strapped only one side. They go well with either plain or graphic T-shirts.
Overalls have made a comeback in today’s fashion, and you can easily find modern styles at many department stores.
4. For a professional 90s look, go with a pant suit. The matching trousers and jacket combination defines a part suit or power suit. Choose a solid-colored pair of pants and match them with a matching jacket or coat. This way, you’ll look 90s-approved at work.
Pant suits were available in every color of the rainbow. Choose a suit in a vibrant color such as red, purple, or blue. Alternatively, choose a neutral suit in tan, khaki, or brown.
5. Put on a pair of leggings for a relaxed, comfortable look. Leggings became popular as athletic wear and a casual clothing option in the 1990s. They go well with baggy T-shirts and tunics, for example. Choose a brightly colored pair for a more authentic appearance, and don’t forget the sweatbands!
Leggings in bright colors such as pink, yellow, and purple are ideal. Many leggings from the 1990s also had patterns like zig-zags, polka dots, and flames.
6. Bike shorts are a stylish and comfortable option. Male athletic shorts were much shorter in the 1990s than they are now. They wore bike shorts underneath to cover up. Following this, bike shorts became extremely popular among both men and women. They’re a great choice for a laid-back, 90s-inspired look.
- Bike shorts are available in a variety of bright colors, including blue, pink, and purple.
- When working out, women frequently wore bike shorts underneath a one-piece or leotard.
7. For a unique look, try wearing a sarong as a skirt. A sarong is a long piece of fabric that is wrapped around the waist or bust. They were traditionally worn in Southeast Asia, but they gained popularity in the 1990s as well. Sarongs were worn around the waist by many women as a skirt.
- Hold each corner in your hands and tie a knot at your belly button to tie a sarong around your waist. Twist the knot to the left or right side, and fluff out the corners to ensure the fabric lays properly.
- Wear it with a T-shirt or a tube top.
Selecting 90s Accessories
1. Wear a mood ring to show off a 90s trend. Mood rings are jewelry with a thermochromic element that changes color depending on the temperature. The color of the ring was said to represent the wearer’s mood. Choose a mood ring in a style that appeals to you, such as a large circle, butterfly, or dolphin shape.
- While mood rings are mostly worn by women, they are also worn by men.
- Although the mood ring was invented in the 1970s, it was not widely popular until the early 1990s.
2. Wear a slap bracelet to add color and pattern to your ensemble. A slap bracelet is made of a flexible piece of steel that has been covered in fabric, silicone, or plastic. Slap the band lightly on your wrist, and the metal coils around your hand effortlessly. Wear them with your tube tops and leggings, for example.
Slap bracelets were available in a variety of colors, patterns, and textures, including animal print, zig-zags, and polka dots.
3. If you have pierced ears, wear a hoop earring. Because many television actors wore them, small silver hoop earrings became popular. Wear one hoop in each ear, for example. Wear a larger pair in the first hole and a smaller pair in the second if you have multiple ear piercings.
You can also choose between gold and black hoops.
4. If you want to be trendy in the 1990s, get a body piercing. Body piercings were not very popular prior to the 1990s. The grunge scene aided in the spread of the piercing trend, and soon many teens were sporting pierced noses, eyebrows, lips, and nipples. Consider getting a piercing if you want to look like you’re from the 1990s.
Remember that piercings are only semi-permanent.
5. Put on a snapback hat for a trendy 90s look. Many people were encouraged to wear snapback hats by hip hop in the 1990s. Put on a hat with the logo of your favorite sports team or band after you’ve finished getting dressed. Turn the brim of the hat around so it faces your back for a true 90s look.
- Snapbacks are distinguished by their broad, flat brim. They also have an adjustable strap made of two plastic pieces.
- For a hip-hop look, pair a snapback with your Coogi sweater and baggy jeans.
6. Wear a studded belt to add a grungy touch to your ensemble. Studs were popular in the grunge scene of the 1990s, and many people wore studded belts with band shirts and flannels. Furthermore, studded belts were extremely popular with baggy jeans. Choose a belt with studs in silver, red, blue, or pink, for example.
For a grunge or punk look, you can also get studded chokers or jackets.
7. Choose footwear from Kangaroos, Timberland, or Doc Martens. Kangaroos are a type of sneaker that is known for its bright colors and small zip-up pocket. Timberland boots became extremely popular in the hip hop scene. Doc Martens are a type of combat boot that was popular in grunge music. Choose your favorite style and rock it with your 90s look!
- Wear Kangaroos with your bike shorts, for example.
- Combine your Timberlands with a pair of baggy jeans and a Coogi sweater.
- Wear your Docs with a flannel and a studded belt.
What did you wear in the 90s?
Tight-fitting nylon shirts, tight nylon quilted vests, bell-bottoms, neoprene jackets, studded belts, platform shoes, flokati fur jackets, scarves, and bags, fluffy boots, and phat pants were popular raver fashion styles in the 1990s.
What dress style was popular in the 90s?
Style fundamentals from the early 1990s
Crop tops, babydoll dresses over leggings, black leather jackets with shoulder pads, colored or embroidered jeans, and slouch socks, Keds, or ballet flats were popular looks for women.
What did female wear in the 90s?
Black leggings with an oversized sweater, low heel shoes, flannel shirts, denim everything, t-shirts, sweatpants, skirts, Birkenstocks, solid colors, silk shirts, turtlenecks (under cardigans or sweaters), plain white Keds, and army surplus clothing were all popular in the 1990s.
What do you wear to a 90’s theme party?
Overalls were popular in the 1990s, and were worn by supermodels in movies, music videos, and on stage. To achieve a classic 90s party look, pair your overalls with a rayon shirt and wear it with one strap down. Some of the most popular options (shirts) were bright colors with floral prints.
How do you dress like the 90s decade?
However, some seriously ’90s fashion trends were only worn by the coolest of the cool at the time.
Check out The Biggest ’90s TV Teen Idols, Then and Now for more from this multifaceted era.
Slip dresses…. Fanny packs…. Plaid flannel shirts…. Timberlands…. Baby tees…. Scrunchies….
Wallets on chains
What was iconic in the 90s?
The 1990s were a decade when pop culture took off, we all became Friends, dance moves were invented, and fast food became even more popular. Despite the fact that they ended more than 20 years ago, some of these American icons are still relevant today. Shows like Rugrats (1991), Doug (1991), and Hey Arnold!