Are you attempting to open a RAR file on your computer, mobile device, or tablet? RAR files are essentially folders that contain several compressed files to save space. You’ll need a special (free) program that can “unrar” the files within to open the file. This wikiHow teaches you how to extract and read RAR files on Windows and macOS, as well as your Android, iPhone, or iPad.
Method 1: On iPhone
1. Install iZip. iZip is a free program that, among other things, can open RAR files. Download it here:
- Navigate to the App Store.
- Select Search.
- Tap the search bar in the App Store.
- Enter izip, then touch Search. Finally, hit GET.
- Enter your Apple ID or Touch ID password.
2. Open the RAR file. Open the program that contains the RAR file, then tap the RAR file. It will “open” to a grey screen with the name of the RAR file in the center of the screen.
- Because iPhones lack file managers, your RAR file is likely to be in an email or cloud storage program.
3. Tap the Iphoneblueshare2.png image. This rectangle with an arrow is located in the screen’s lower-left corner. There will be a pop-up menu.
- Continue scrolling to the right. Swipe across the top row of applications in the menu from right to left. The iZip folder icon should show.
5. Select Copy to iZip. This is the yellow folder symbol towards the bottom of the app row. This will launch iZip and open the RAR folder.
- If you don’t see this choice, tap, then press the switch to the right of iZip, and finally hit Done to bring it up.
6. When asked, click OK. This will “unzip” the RAR files, making them accessible.
- When asked, click OK. This will “unzip” the RAR files, making them accessible.
- If you are not requested to unzip the files, proceed as follows:
- In the RAR folder, tap the circle to the left of each file.
- At the bottom of the screen, choose Extract.
Method 2: On Android
1. Install the RAR file on your Android device. You’ll need to download the RAR file if it isn’t already on your Android’s hard disk. Open the program that contains the RAR (for example, Gmail or Google Drive), locate the RAR file, and download it.
If the RAR file is already on your Android, you may skip this step.
2. Install the WinZip software. WinZip is a free software that can open a variety of compressed files, including RAR files. WinZip may be downloaded here:
- Open the Google Play Store Image: Androidgoogleplay.png
- Select the search bar.
- Enter winzip.
- Select WinZip – Zip UnZip Tool.
- Select INSTALL.
- Select ACCEPT.
3. Tap the OPEN button. The WinZip program page has a green button towards the top. This launches WinZip.
4. Press the START button. It may be found at the bottom of the WinZip main page.
You may need to swipe left through a few commercials initially.
5. Navigate to your RAR file. Tap SD or Internal, then go to the folder containing your RAR file.
Assuming you downloaded the RAR file, you’ll go to the Downloads folder and, if required, the folder for the program from whence you obtained it.
6. Hold down the RAR file. After a few seconds, a pop-up menu will display.
7. Unzip to…. It is located at the top of the pop-up menu.
8. Choose a location to unzip the folder. Select one of the unzip sites listed below:
- Storage – Unzips the RAR to a disk and folder on your Android that you choose.
- My Files – Unzips the RAR file to your Android’s My Files folder.
- Unzips the RAR file into the Google Drive folder.
- Dropbox – Unzips the RAR and saves it to your Dropbox account. If you don’t already have a Dropbox account, you’ll need to create one.
9. Click UNZIP HERE. It’s located in the lower-right corner of the screen. This will open the RAR file and place its contents in the chosen folder. You should now be able to examine the files in the RAR archive.
Method 3: On Windows
1. Determine the bit version of Windows. The file you download will change significantly depending on whether your Windows version is 32-bit or 64-bit.
2. Navigate to the WinRAR download page. Visit https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm to get started. WinRAR is a sophisticated, free program that can be used to read RAR files on any Windows machine.
If this link does not work, go to https://www.rarlab.com and click the Downloads link on the left side of the page.
3. Click the download link for your bit version. If you have a 64-bit operating system, click the WinRAR x64 (64 bit) 5.50 link towards the top of the page, while 32-bit users can choose the WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 5.50 link right above it. The WinRAR installation file will be downloaded to your PC.
Before the file will begin downloading, you may need to click Save or confirm the download.
4. Double-click the WinRAR installation file. It’ll be at the regular download place on your machine. The WinRAR setup dialog box will appear.
5. Download and install WinRAR. To do this:
- When asked, choose Yes.
- Install should be clicked.
- Make certain that the RAR box is checked (top-left corner).
- Select OK.
- Click the Done button.
6. Navigate to your RAR file. If the RAR file is on your desktop, you’re good to go; if not, proceed as follows:
- Open the Windows Start image, Windowsstart.png.
- Windows Start Explorer Image (Windowsstartexplorer.png)
- In the left-hand window, go to the location of your RAR file. To discover the RAR, you may need to choose other folders in the main File Explorer window.
7. Click the RAR file twice. This should immediately open it in WinRAR.
- To launch WinRAR, you may need to choose it from a pop-up list and then click OK.
- The first time you open WinRAR, you may be prompted to purchase it. To dismiss the popup, click the X button in the top-right corner.
8. Choose the folder that you wish to open. To pick the RAR folder, click its name in the centre of the WinRAR window.
9. Select Extract To. This folder-shaped icon may be seen in the upper-left corner of the WinRAR window. A new window will appear.
10. Choose a location. On the right side of the pop-up box, choose a folder to which you wish to save the RAR (e.g., Desktop).
11. Select OK. It’s at the lower-right corner of the window. This will start WinRAR extracting the RAR folder to the specified location. When the extraction is finished, you will be able to access the extracted folder like any other and examine its contents.
Method 4: On Mac
1. Install the Unarchiver app. To do this:
- Launch the Mac App Store.
- In the top-right corner of the window, click the search bar.
- Enter the unarchiver in the search box and hit Return.
- Under the The Unarchiver app, choose INSTALL.
2. Open the Macspotlight.png image in Spotlight. In the top-right corner of the screen, click the magnifying glass-shaped symbol. A search bar will be shown.
3. In Spotlight, type unarchiver. This will look for the Unarchiver application on your computer.
4. Choose The Unarchiver. It should appear towards the top of Spotlight search results. A new window will open.
5. When asked, always choose Ask. This ensures that Unarchiver always consults with you before extracting RAR files.
6. Navigate to your RAR file. Click the blue, face-like icon in your Mac’s Dock to launch Finder, then click the folder containing the RAR file on the left side of the Finder window.
You may need to go through other directories to locate your RAR file.
7. Choose your RAR file. To pick the RAR file in the Finder window, click it.
8. Select File. It’s in the top-left corner of the screen as a menu option.
9. Choose Open With. This option is available from the File drop-down menu. To the right of the drop-down menu, a pop-out menu will emerge.
10. Unarchiver will be shown. It may be found in the pop-up menu. Unarchiver should open your RAR file.
11. Choose an extraction location. On the left side of the window, choose a folder. This is where the RAR file will be extracted.
12. Select Extract. It’s located in the lower-right corner of the Unarchiver window. Unarchiver will then convert your RAR file into an accessible folder at your selected extraction location. When the extraction is finished, you will be able to access the extracted folder like any other and examine its contents.
How do you open a .RAR file?
This should immediately open it in WinRAR. To launch WinRAR, you may need to choose it from a pop-up list and then click OK. When you first launch WinRAR, you may be requested to buy it. To dismiss the popup, click the X button in the top-right corner.
How do I open a RAR file without WinZip?
How Do I Open A Rar File If I Don’t Have Winzip? If you simply need to extract a RAR file, the free and open source 7-Zip program is a better option. You’re ready to proceed after you’ve downloaded and installed 7-Zip from their website. If you double-click any RAR file, 7-ZIP will open it and allow you to inspect or extract it.
What programs can open an RAR file?
WinRAR. WinRAR is one of the most widely used unarchiving programs.
PeaZip. PeaZip is a free program that supports popular archive formats such as 7Z, CAB, and XAR.
B1 Free Archiver. 7-Zip.
IZArc. Bandizip. The Unarchiver.
How do I open a RAR file on Windows?
To open the rar file, right-click it.
Choose “7-Zip > Extract files.”
Choose the folder where you want to extract the compressed files from the pop-up box that appears and click “OK.” If you choose “Extract Here,” the files are stored in the same folder as the archive.
Is WinRAR free for Windows 10?
Winrar is a free tool that allows you to easily, quickly, and efficiently compress and unpack any file.
How do I open a RAR file without downloading it?
Unzip the RAR file to a disk and folder of your choosing on your Android smartphone. Unzip the RAR file to your Android device’s My Files folder. Zip the RAR file and copy it to the Google Drive folder. Zip the RAR and copy and paste it into a Dropbox account.