Do you need to scan a document or picture but only have a Canon All-in-One printer, such as a Pixma TS, TR, MX, or MG model? Assuming that your Canon printer is equipped with a scanner, the process of scanning documents from your printer to your computer will be really simple. This wikiHow article will teach you how to easily scan any document using your Canon All-in-One printer by using the IJ scanning application, as well as the scanning capabilities that are integrated into Windows and macOS.
Preparing to Scan
1. Verify that your Canon printer has a scanning function. If you have a “all-in-one” type printer, then it also has a scanning function. There are further versions of printers that are also capable of scanning; however, you will need to check the documentation for the printer or the product page to determine that this is the case.
2. Establish a connection between your computer and your printer. The vast majority of Canon printers that are also capable of scanning will also have the ability to connect wirelessly via the use of a touch-screen panel; nevertheless, you may be required to use a USB connection to connect your printer to your computer.
3. The printer’s drivers and utilities may be downloaded and installed here. You should have received a CD or DVD along with your printer, and you can use that media to install the necessary drivers for your printer. Documents may be scanned with the help of the IJ Scan Utility, which is included in the package with the printer drivers. In the event that it was not packaged with a CD or DVD, you may download the drivers for your printer by following the procedures below:
In your computer browser, go to the following address:
- To access the printers, click here.
- You may either choose your model number from the drop-down menu or type your model number into the search area before pressing Enter.
- Choose your operating system from the list provided by the pull-down menu that’s located next to “Operating System.” (There is a possibility that you won’t need to install drivers if your operating system doesn’t have any drivers accessible.)
- Next to the drivers that you wish to download, click the Select button.
- To download, choose it.
- Launch the installation file, and then proceed with the steps outlined.
4. If it’s required, turn on your printer now. To turn the printer on, press the “On” button. Check that the printer is connected to a source of power that is active if you are unable to get it to switch on.
5. Make sure the scanner is open. Raise the cover of the scanner so that you can examine the glass that lines the bottom of the device.
6. Put your paper inside the scanner with the front facing down. If there is an arrow in the bottom left corner of the page, you should align the document with that arrow. It is recommended that you line the document you are using with the top and left side of the glass.
- If your Canon printer has an automated document feeder, place the document in the tray that the automatic document feeder is located in with the front of the paper facing up. Adjust the guidelines on the side so that they are aligned with the width of the page. When the document is correctly placed, you should hear a beep as confirmation.
- If you are having trouble figuring out how to utilize the built-in scanner on your Canon, the instruction manual should be consulted.
7. Make sure the scanner lid is closed. Before you begin scanning your document, check to see that it is completely closed.
Scanning with the IJ Scan Utility
1. Proceed to the folder that is named “IJ Scan Utility.” On a PC or a Mac, you may get to the folder containing the IJ Scan Utility by following any one of the following steps:
- To begin using Windows, click the Start button.
- Launch the Canon Utilities folder in your file explorer.
- On a Mac, choose Go from the menu bar located at the top of the screen.
- Choose the Applications tab.
- Launch the Canon Utilities folder in your file explorer.
- Launch the IJ Scan Utility folder in your file explorer.
2. Start the IJ Scan Utility application. It features an icon that looks like a piece of paper being scanned by a machine. To access the IJ Scan Utility, choose the icon located in the folder.
3. Clicking Settings is the tenth and last step in the image that’s headed “Scan a Document on a Canon Printer.” The IJ Scan Utility app has it tucked away in the bottom-right hand corner.
4. Click the Scan Documents button. It is the second choice down on the left-hand side of the menu.
5. Select “PDF (Multiple Pages)” from the drop-down menu. To do this, locate the drop-down option that is located next to “Data Format” and choose “PDF” (Multiple Pages). You will be able to scan many pages into a single document with this.
- Some printers have the capability of scanning both sides of a page automatically as it is printed. If your printer has this function, you may enable it by selecting “Document (ADF/Platen)” from the drop-down menu that is located next to the “Select source” option.
6. After choosing a place to save to, click the “Ok” button. You may pick a place to store your papers by using the drop-down menu that is located next to the words “Save in.” After that, choose the Ok button.
- Your “Papers” folder is the one that will get saved copies of any documents you create.
7. Click Document. It is the second option shown in the window for the IJ Scan Utility. A document is represented with an icon that reads “PDF” next to it. Your page will now be scanned once this is done. It might take up to a minute to complete.
8. After inserting the next page, click the Scan button. Place the next page to be scanned either on the glass scanner or in the automated document feeder if you have more than one sheet to scan. Check that the document is positioned such that the arrow in the upper left-hand corner of the glass scanner is aligned with it. When you are ready to scan the next page, you should click the Scan button.
9. Click Exit. Click the Exit button after you have done going over every page of your document and scanning it. Your document will be saved as a PDF file either in the Papers folder on your computer or in the location that you specified when asked where you wanted to store your documents.
Scanning Manually on Windows
1. Launch Windowsstart.png by opening the Start Image. Simply choose the Windows icon located in the lower-left hand corner of the display and click it.
2. In the Start menu, type “windows fax and scan.” When you do so, Windows will look for an application called Fax and Scan.
3. To access Windows Fax and Scan, click its icon. It may be found at the very top of the Start menu. The Fax and Scan app will launch after this is done.
4. Select a new scan to run. This is located in the far left-hand corner of the Fax and Scan pane. When you click it, a new window will appear.
5. Verify that the settings on your scanner are accurate. You should be able to see the name “Canon” along with the model number of your printer. In the event that you see anything different here, pick your Canon printer after clicking the Change… button.
6. Choose a format for your work. After clicking the “Profile” drop-down box, choose the kind of document you want to upload (for example, a photo) from the drop-down menu that appears.
7. Decide on your document’s color. After clicking the drop-down arrow next to “Color format,” choose either “Color” or “Black and White” from the menu that appears.
- There is a possibility that your scanner has extra color formatting possibilities, although somewhat restricted ones.
8. Pick a kind of file to open. You may save the scanned document to your computer in a variety of formats, such as PDF or JPG, by selecting the appropriate file type from the “File type” drop-down menu and then clicking that format.
9. Modify any of the other available settings on the page. Before you scan in your document, your scanner may provide you with additional settings, such as “Resolution,” that you may change before you begin the process.
10. Select the Preview option. The answer may be found at the bottom of the window. When you do so, a preview of your document that is now being scanned will appear.
11. To scan, press the button. The answer may be found at the bottom of the window. Your document will be scanned onto your computer as soon as it is ready. Follow these steps in order to locate the scanned file at a later time:
- Launch Windowsstart.png, which is located in the Start Image folder.
- Launch the File Explorer and look for the image with the name Windowsstartexplorer.png.
- Select Documents from the menu that appears on the left side of the window.
- Do a double-click on the folder labeled Scanned Documents.
Scanning Manually on Mac
1. To access the Apple menu, click on the image that is named Macapple1.png. Simply choose the Apple icon located in the upper-left hand corner of the display. A menu that can be dropped down will appear.
2. Select Preferences for Your System…. It is located at the very top of the menu that drops down.
3. Printers and Scanners Available with Just a Click. The System Preferences window has an icon in the form of a printer on the right-hand side of the window.
4. Choose your Canon printer from the list. Simply choose the “Canon” option that is located in the top left corner of the window.
5. Select the Scan tab from the menu. You may find it at the very top of the window.
6. Click Open Scanner…. This option may be found in the upper-right corner of the window for the Scan tab.
7. Select the Show Details button. It is located in the bottom right hand corner of the window.
8. Pick a kind of file to open. You may save your document in a variety of formats, such as PDF or JPEG, by opening the “Format” drop-down menu and selecting the appropriate option.
9. Decide on a color. To choose a color, first choose it from the drop-down menu labeled “Kind” located at the very top of the page (e.g., Black and White).
- It’s possible that your scanner just has a few choices available here.
10. Choose a place for the storage. You may choose where you want to store your scanned document by selecting it from the “Save To” drop-down menu, then clicking on the folder’s name (e.g., Desktop).
11. Make adjustments to the page’s other available choices. The number that you choose for “Resolution” and the value that you enter for “Orientation” in this box may need to be changed depending on the kind of file that you are trying to scan.
12. Click the Scan button. The answer may be found in the lower-right hand corner of the window. Your document will be scanned onto your computer as soon as it is ready. When it is finished, you will be able to locate it in the area that you choose to store it in.
Why won’t my Canon printer scan to my computer?
At the very beginning of the software, you need to make sure that the “network” version of the printer is chosen. You should restart your computer if you are still able to scan using the application. The next step is to switch off the printer and then turn it back on to see whether or not you will be able to scan using the operator panel.
Why will my Canon printer print but not scan?
It is most likely a problem with the software on your device if you are able to print but not scan. Bring your printer up to date by installing the latest software updates. Bring the drivers up to date. And as a last step, try again after turning the device off and then back on.
Why can’t I scan from my printer to my computer?
Verify that the USB connection connecting the printer to the Windows device is connected in and in working order before proceeding. Verify that your printer is operating within its typical settings and that all of its lights are illuminated. Check to see whether you are able to print a document so that we may return to using the scanning function of the printer.
How do I scan a document and save it?
To save the document, press “Ctrl-S” to open the “Save As” window, then enter a name for the file in the box labeled “File Name,” pick the folder in which you want to save it, and click the “Save” button.
Why My scanner is not working?
First, make sure that the scanner and the computer are properly connected: Check to see that the AC adapter for your scanner is properly connected to both the device itself as well as an operational electrical outlet. Check that the interface cable is not crimped or damaged in any way, as well as ensuring that it is connected to both the computer and the scanner in a safe and secure manner.
Where is the Canon IJ printer Utility?
Choose the entry for your printer on the left side of the window, then choose Options & Supplies from the drop-down menu that appears. Choose the Utility tab, and then click the Open Printer Utility button. The Canon IJ Printer Utility loads up when it’s clicked on. Make your selection using the menu that appears when you click the arrow in the top-left corner.